Australian hockey player banned for 12 months after cocaine arrest at Paris 2024
Tom Craig was arrested but released without charge after trying to purchase the drug during the Olympics

Australian Olympic hockey player Tom Craig has been banned for 12 months, with six months suspended, after he was arrested for buying cocaine during Paris 2024.
Governing body Hockey Australia (HA) said Craig’s ban started on Monday and followed an investigation by its integrity unit into his arrest last month.
“Six months of this suspension will be served fully, with the remaining six months fully suspended, contingent upon meeting conduct and behavioural requirements,” HA said in a statement.
Additionally, Craig is required to complete mandatory training and education programmes, the governing body said.
Though banned from competition, HA said Craig would remain eligible for selection for the 2025 national squad which is expected to be announced at the end of the year.
Craig apologised to his family and teammates after being released from police custody in Paris with a warning and promptly moved out of the athletes’ village.

“I’d firstly like to apologise for what has occurred in the last 24 hours,” Craig said after leaving custody. “I made a terrible mistake. I take full responsibility for my actions.
“My actions are my own and in no way reflect the values of my family, my team-mates, my friends, my sport, and the Australian Olympic team. I’ve embarrassed you all. I’m truly sorry.”
The 29-year-old has played over 100 games for Australia and was a member of the team that won the men’s silver at the Tokyo Olympics.
Australia’s men were knocked out at the quarter-final stage in Paris.
Reuters
Join our commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies
0Comments